Dr. Mike Davison's Live Your Big Picture!

Thoughts, news and reviews by Dr. Mike Davison about connecting more fully with your life's purpose.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Arlington Heights, Illinois, United States

I am Mike Davison and I am the founder of PartnersInPurpose.com. My company’s mission is to assist individuals and organizations to connect with their purpose and maximize their resources to optimize success. I am a Clinical Psychologist, organizational consultant and peak performance coach. I believe that everyone has a purpose in life. It is when people are fully connected with their purpose and are actively living it with a spirit of service and contribution that they experience the greatest sense of fulfillment. I live in the Chicagoland area with my wife of 16 years and our three amazing children.

Tuesday, January 15, 2008

An Expanded Bucket List: Creating a Purpose Statement

Your vision will become clear only when you look into your heart. Who looks outside, dreams. Who looks inside, awakens”. -Carl Jung

I strongly believe everyone has a purpose or reason they were placed on this planet. I personally have not reconciled the issue of whether one’s life purpose is divinely inspired or if it is of our own choosing. However, I am certain that through the process of self-reflection, contemplation, prayer and consultation with others we can discern how to live our lives in the most purposeful and meaningful way.

There is tremendous power in creating a written document that can be best thought of as a purpose statement. It is best to look at your purpose statement as a fluid and evolving document. Your life purpose is not fixed or static. We certainly are not fixed or static beings. A purpose statement simply documents your purpose in life and how you will play out your life’s purpose. Your purpose statement answers such questions as: Who am I? What are my values? How am I going to use my time in the service of my life’s purpose?

In the process of writing a purpose statement I have some ideas that have worked for me. One is to keep it brief. By this I mean a paragraph or two. I think it should be peppered with language that is inspiring to you. I also believe that it should include how living your most purposeful life will contribute to the lives of others. Living your life’s purpose involves connecting with something beyond you; something bigger than you.

Once you complete your purpose statement, you should refer to the statement on a regular basis, perhaps even daily. I also think you should consider revisions at least once a year. A purpose statement ultimately gives you a springboard to evaluate yourself to determine if you are on track in life. Your purpose statement allows you to create your short- and long-term goals. A purpose statement also helps you schedule your time each day in a way that is congruent with your highest personal priorities. This sort of alignment will allow you to feel a profound level of clarity, certainty, fulfillment, and inspiration. This will allow personal peace to more effortlessly unfold in your life.

Some simple exercises to create a purpose statement as part of your bucket list:

Get clear about the kind of person you want to be.

Get out some paper and write out your responses to the statements below to get clearer about their life’s purpose.

My life’s purpose is…

My empowering self-definition is…

I want my life to be an answer to what question?

My personal purpose statement is…

The sort of influence on others I’d like to be is…

My life is about…

What I stand for is…

Also identify what you are willing to do on the level of your behavior to have your life be consistent with your responses.

Please feel free to share your thoughts or relections to these questions.

To You Most Purposeful Life!

Dr. Mike Davison
“Your Destiny Doctor”
mike@PartnersInPurpose.com
847 490-7689

P.S. If you would like any additional information about creating your own bucket list, or living your best life, feel free to contact me about life design coaching.

P.S.S. Check out www.bucketlistblog.com to learn more about creating your own bucket list.

P.S.S.S. Remember, the best way to predict your future is to design it.

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home