Dr. Mike Davison's Live Your Big Picture!

Thoughts, news and reviews by Dr. Mike Davison about connecting more fully with your life's purpose.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Arlington Heights, Illinois, United States

I am Mike Davison and I am the founder of PartnersInPurpose.com. My company’s mission is to assist individuals and organizations to connect with their purpose and maximize their resources to optimize success. I am a Clinical Psychologist, organizational consultant and peak performance coach. I believe that everyone has a purpose in life. It is when people are fully connected with their purpose and are actively living it with a spirit of service and contribution that they experience the greatest sense of fulfillment. I live in the Chicagoland area with my wife of 16 years and our three amazing children.

Friday, February 22, 2008

Looking on the bright side....

Optimism is the ability to look at the brighter side of life and to maintain a positive attitude, even in the face of adversity.

The ability to bounce back from disappointment.

I have some questions about optimism.

Optimism involves always believing that everything will turn out well. Right?

No! That is merely poor Reality Testing.

Optimism means always giving yourself pep talks - just keep saying positive things to yourself. Right?

No! First, you won’t hear the pep talks after a short while because you know that they are phony. Second, you are in danger of hiding too much from real negatives that you need to notice and plan around.

Then what is Optimism, really?

You practice Optimism when you choose to view setbacks, downturns, and disappointments as temporary rather than permanent. Even if times are bad right now, you recognize that this need not be a permanent condition. Things can and probably will improve.


You practice Optimism when you choose to see misfortune as situational rather than pervasive. For example, your company is reducing its workforce and has let you go. While this may be a bad situation, it does not mean that you are an undesirable employee and will never work again.

You practice Optimism when you choose not to personalize bad events with statements like “Just my luck.” “This always happens to me.” “I have a black cloud over my life.” “I always screw things up.”


While optimists recognize that there are elements in a failed situation that they may not have been able to control, they are realistic about the aspects that they can control. If their performance in one of those aspects was poor, they take heart in the fact that it is within their control to do better next time.

Learn more about training your brain to think more optimistically from my show earlier this week.

http://www.BlogTalkRadio.com/todaysguest/2008/02/19/The-Science-of-Optimism

Also, listen for another fr.eebie that I mention on the audio.

To Your Best Life!

Dr. Mike Davison
"Your Destiny Doctor"
mike@PartnersInPurpose.com

P.S. Don't forget to grab your fr.ee audio from your favorite Life Design Coach at:
http://www.BlogTalkRadio.com/todaysguest/2008/02/19/The-Science-of-Optimism

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home